We at Green Klean are committed to your health and safety. Please read the important industry articles posted below.
Your Guide to a Healthier Salon
Chemical gases and odors are not only harmful to the health of your employees and clients; they are harmful to your business as well. With the right strategy – and air cleaner – you can create a healthier environment that makes everyone happy, including your local health department.
Use the following checklist to accomplish your goal of restoring the air within your salon.
- Get a commercial grade air cleaner. There are many different air cleaner products available today, but only a commercial grade system will be powerful and effective enough to do the job right. Residential products designed for in-home use simply aren’t intended for the heavy workload of a commercial application.
- Make sure the air cleaner was designed specifically for your environment (nail and hair salons). So many commercial air cleaners are made for general use and there are even a few that were engineered to be used directly at a nail station to capture nail dust. The ideal system for your salon targets the odors and gases from toxic chemicals commonly found in salons. You also need a system that removes airborne particles at or better than industry standard HEPA levels.
- Make sure the air cleaner uses a specially treated activated carbon filter.
- Traditional filter media effectively captures airborne particles, but it does not reduce gases and odors. That is why you need activated carbon filter media that has been specially treated to adsorb gases. Adsorption (with a “d”) is not to be confused with absorption (with a “b”). During absorption (with a “b”), one substance is taken into another – for example, a sponge absorbs water. However, adsorption (with a “d”) involves collecting or drawing a substance to the surface – much like a magnet. By adsorbing gases, a specially treated activated carbon filter reduces the amount of gases in the air, along with their related odors. If the filter is not treated, it won’t effectively work for the chemicals used in salons
- Place the air cleaner close to the problem source. To make sure you get the best results from your commercial air cleaner, place it close to the source of the gases, odors and particulates. In order to be able to do this, you need a system that is portable and easy to move. As you know, costly ceiling ventilation systems are not portable and are not built to pull gases from the air, which is why they do not adequately reduce odors.
- Use the air cleaner as directed by the manufacturer. Lastly, make sure that you follow the usage instructions and recommendations for your commercial air cleaner. The manufacturer will provide guidelines on how to achieve maximum air cleaning effectiveness with regards to coverage area, operating speeds and filter replacement. These guidelines are based on comprehensive testing during product development.
When it comes to reducing toxic gases and odors caused by popular salon processes, one product that gets the job done is the Salon Air Scrubber. The Scrubber is a portable, commercial grade air cleaner that uses a durable, customized activated carbon filter solution. Researched and developed specifically for the salon environment, this filter has been treated to adsorb the chemical odors and gases caused by nail and hair applications.
The primary benefit of the Scrubber is that it helps to create a safer, healthier environment for salon clients and especially employees, who are exposed to the harmful pollutants for extended periods of time.
Restore the Air in Your Salon
For the first time in the industry, there is a solution available that allows hair and nail salon owners, along with their employees and clients, to breathe easier – and feel healthier. The Salon Air Scrubber was engineered to address the growing concerns about health-related problems associated with the toxic chemical fumes and odors present in salons. Using a customized filter that was developed and tested exclusively for the salon industry with guaranteed results, the Scrubber removes airborne pollutants to restore clean, healthy air.
Chemicals from hair and nail processes release toxic vapors into the air but the Salon Air Scrubber creates a healthy environment by targeting more than 350 pollutants, including gases and odors from these toxic chemicals commonly found in salons:
- Formaldehyde – a known carcinogen used in hair straightener and nail hardener
- Phenylenediamine (PPD) – used in two thirds of all hair dyes
- Sodium Hydroxide – used in hair relaxers
- Ammonia – used in hair dye
- Dibutyl Phthalate (DBT) – used in nail polish and nail hardener
- Ethyl Methacrylate – used in artificial nails
- Toluene – used in nail polish and nail glue
By ridding the air of these harmful pollutants, the Scrubber alleviates related side affects, such as headaches, eye irritation, nausea, drowsiness and respiratory problems.
“I have been using the Scrubber in my salon for the past month and a half, and I immediately noticed a difference in the air quality and how my clients and employees feel,” says Audra Masters, owner and stylist at Freya Salon & Spa in Ravenna, Ohio. “Before the Scrubber, I would get a headache that lasted the entire day and into the evening whenever I did hair treatments – even just an express keratin hair straightening treatment, which takes about an hour. And the smell from the treatments seemed to be embedded in my sinuses. But I don’t experience any of that now that I have the Scrubber.”
Keratin hair straighteners contain formaldehyde, which is extremely harmful when inhaled – especially over a long period of time. But Salon Air Scrubber rids the air of toxic gases and odors from hair straighteners as well as many other chemical-based treatments such as hair dyes and relaxers, hair sprays, nail glues, hardeners, polishes and artificial nails.
“Acrylic nails generally have a very strong odor,” Masters continues, “but ever since I started using the Scrubber my clients have been commenting that the smell is not nearly as bad. I highly recommend the Scrubber – all salons should have one.”
The Scrubber, featuring a 360 exhaust, takes in air at the bottom and releases purified air out the top. With a particulate filter, it removes 99.98% of airborne particles down to 0.1 micron, which is three times better than ordinary HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) designs. And the Scrubber is intended for around-the-clock operation – 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
“Is there a secret technique for proper ventilation during application [of acrylics]?” –from reader Christie
When it comes to reducing toxic gases and odors caused by popular salon processes, such as acrylic nails, the ideal solution is a portable, commercial grade air cleaner that can be placed close to the source. Costly ceiling ventilation systems simply are not built to pull gases from the air, and they do not adequately reduce odors.
The Salon Air Scrubber is the system of choice for restoring the air in salons because it uses a durable, customized filter solution that was researched and developed specifically for the salon environment. Key to the outstanding effectiveness of this filter is charcoal that has been treated to adsorb the chemical odors and gases caused by nail and hair applications. The primary benefit of the Scrubber is that it helps to create a safer, healthier environment for salon clients and especially employees, who are exposed to the harmful pollutants for extended periods of time. After trying the Salon Air Scrubber for the first time, salon owners and technicians say they noticed the difference in air quality within minutes.
The cost-effective Scrubber is a room air cleaner that has the portability to be moved from workstation to workstation with ease. Its portability also allows salon owners to take their Scrubber units with them as their businesses grow and relocate.